June 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- Deuteronomy 24:4: Why Was the Ex-Wife Defiled?
- Book Write-Up: Among the Gods, by Lynn Austin
- Peck Knew More Than Kathy About God: On What Basis?
- Carson on Agape and Some Word Fallacies
- Shaman? Savior? Myth? Inkblot? --- Why Christianity's Main Man Remains So Elusive
- Chapters 19, 21-23 of The Stand
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Tag Archives: Jonathan Edwards
Book Write-Up: One Holy and Happy Society
Gerald R. McDermott. One Holy and Happy Society: The Public Theology of Jonathan Edwards. Pennsylvania State University Press, 1992. This was Gerald McDermott’s first book about eighteenth century American pastor and theologian Jonathan Edwards. See here and here to read … Continue reading
Book Write-Up: Jonathan Edwards Confronts the Gods
Gerald R. McDermott. Jonathan Edwards Confronts the Gods: Christian Theology, Enlightenment Religion, and Non-Christian Faiths. Oxford University Press, 2000. Jonathan Edwards was an eighteenth century pastor and theologian. Many of you may know him on account of his sermon, “Sinners … Continue reading
Thomas the Public Speaker
On page 447 of Norman Thomas: The Last Idealist, which is a biography of six-time Socialist candidate for President Norman Thomas, W.A. Swanberg quotes New Republic editor Bruce Bliven’s assessment in 1963 of Norman Thomas’ public speaking abilities: “He has … Continue reading
Posted in Politics, Preaching, Religion Tagged Jonathan Edwards, Norman Thomas Comments Off on Thomas the Public Speaker
In his December 7 daily devotion in My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers says the following: “Repentance always brings a man to this point: I have sinned. The surest sign that God is at work is when a man … Continue reading
Posted in Life, Religion, School Tagged E.W. Bullinger, false repentance, Jonathan Edwards, My Utmost for His Highest, oswald chambers, Religion, religious affections, repentance, spirituality, theology Comments Off on True Repentance?
Harvard Libraries and Reading
There was a lot of ground covered in my latest reading of Ari Goldman’s The Search for God at Harvard: Ari’s search for a library at Harvard where he felt comfortable studying; Ari’s happiness that being a student gave him … Continue reading
Posted in Asperger's, Autism, Life, Religion, School Tagged Ari Goldman, Farnsworth, harvard divinity school, Hilles, Jonathan Edwards, Karl Barth, Lamont, Paul Tillich, reading, The Search for God at Harvard, Widener Comments Off on Harvard Libraries and Reading