January 2022 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Scrooge v. Ghost of Christmas Present on the Sabbath
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Deuteronomy 24:4: Why Was the Ex-Wife Defiled?
- Genesis 3:22: Man Was Like One of Us
- Andrew Klavan on Mel Gibson
- The Death Penalty
- Psalm 119: Qoph
- Lazarus and Osiris?
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
- Elder Platform for California
- Books Write-Up: Obadiah, Jonah and Micah; Letters for the Church; the Paradox of Sonship
- Common Dreams: Biden Applauded for Executive Order Targeting ‘Insidious’ Anti-Worker Practices
- Book Write-Up: The Path of Faith, by Brandon D. Crowe
Tag Archives: christianity
Richard Twiss. Rescuing the Gospel from the Cowboys: A Native American Expression of the Jesus Way. Ed. Ray Martell and Sue Martell. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2015. See here to buy the book. Richard Twiss, who passed on in 2013, … Continue reading
Something that interests me whenever I reconnect with old friends and acquaintances is their current religious or political views. Some of the people who were gun-ho conservative Christians back when I knew them are now atheists, agnostics, liberal Christians, gay … Continue reading
Terry A. Chrisope. Toward a Sure Faith: J. Gresham Machen and the Dilemma of Biblical Criticism, 1881-1915. Great Britain: Christian Focus Publications, 2000. J. Gresham Machen was a conservative Christian biblical scholar. He was a prominent voice during the fundamentalist-modernist … Continue reading
Gerald R. McDermott. Jonathan Edwards Confronts the Gods: Christian Theology, Enlightenment Religion, and Non-Christian Faiths. Oxford University Press, 2000. Jonathan Edwards was an eighteenth century pastor and theologian. Many of you may know him on account of his sermon, “Sinners … Continue reading
Robert Moats Miller. Harry Emerson Fosdick: Preacher, Pastor, Prophet. Oxford University Press, 1985. I first heard of Harry Emerson Fosdick back when I was in college. I was preparing a presentation on the fundamentalist-modernist controversy of the 1920’s, and I … Continue reading
Karen Armstrong. A History of God: The 4000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1994. I just finished a library copy of this book, but I decided to buy a copy for myself. They run … Continue reading
I watched the 2011 movie Higher Ground a few nights ago. Higher Ground is about a woman named Corinne, who converts to fundamentalist Christianity and later leaves that belief system. Vera Farmiga starred in and directed the film. Here are … Continue reading
Erwin W. Lutzer. Hitler’s Cross: How the Cross Was Used to Promote the Nazi Agenda. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2012. I would like to thank Moody Publishers for my review copy of this book. See here for Moody’s page about it. … Continue reading
At church this morning, we sang the old Charles Wesley hymn, “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing.” One line in particular stood out to me: “He breaks the power of cancelled sin, He sets the prisoner free…” God not … Continue reading
In my post about Jurgen Moltmann’s The Crucified God, I did not talk about Moltmann’s discussion of psychology in that particular book. I just felt like ending the post where I did! In this post, however, I will talk about … Continue reading