Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- Deuteronomy 24:4: Why Was the Ex-Wife Defiled?
- People of the Lie: George and Bobby's Parents
- Turning Stones into Bread: Why Was It Wrong?
- Is Star Wars Demonic, and Should Christians See It?
- "Take Away Our (Bent or Desire?) to Sinning"
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
- Elder Platform for California
- Books Write-Up: Obadiah, Jonah and Micah; Letters for the Church; the Paradox of Sonship
- Common Dreams: Biden Applauded for Executive Order Targeting ‘Insidious’ Anti-Worker Practices
- Book Write-Up: The Path of Faith, by Brandon D. Crowe
- Glenn Greenwald: Questions About the FBI’s Role in 1/6 Are Mocked Because the FBI Shapes Liberal Corporate Media
- Books Write-Up: Worshiping with the Reformers; Understanding Gender Dysphoria
- Book Write-Up: Postmortem Opportunity, by James Beilby
- “The New War on Terror”
Category Archives: Preaching
Benjamin H. Walton. Preaching Old Testament Narratives. Grand Rapids: Kregel Ministry, 2016. See here to purchase the book. Benjamin H. Walton has a D.Min. from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and has lectured at many Christian universities and seminaries. As the title … Continue reading
Mary S. Hulst. A Little Handbook for Preachers: Ten Practical Ways to a Better Sermon by Sunday. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2016. See here to purchase the book. Mary Hulst is a college chaplain and has been a professor of … Continue reading
On page 447 of Norman Thomas: The Last Idealist, which is a biography of six-time Socialist candidate for President Norman Thomas, W.A. Swanberg quotes New Republic editor Bruce Bliven’s assessment in 1963 of Norman Thomas’ public speaking abilities: “He has … Continue reading
I have two items for today, both of them related to my daily quiet time in the Book of Numbers: 1. In Numbers 19, we see the law concerning the red heifer, whose ashes are mixed with water to purify … Continue reading
For my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, I’ll use as my starting-point something that Marsden says on page 195, as he talks about a long sermon series that Jonathan Edwards gave about the history of redemption, … Continue reading
At church this morning, I was thinking about where my pastor is effective in terms of his homiletical style. The pastor was asking the congregation questions about redwood trees to illustrate a sermon point, and a child was answering one … Continue reading
Even though my sermon is over and done with, I have another post about preaching within me! I remember reading something by Pastor John MacArthur about preaching. (I’ll be relying on my memory of what I read, and that may … Continue reading
I did my sermon this morning! As I preached my sermon and looked at my audience, I couldn’t exactly tell if they liked or disliked my message. But I got some good feedback after the service, and my pastor asked … Continue reading