Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Church Write-Up: The Need for Salvation and Psalm 130
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Eusebius and the Law
- Does the Bible Have a Place in the Academic Discussion of Theology?
- Ishmael on Hagar's Back
- Soulen-clearing the way for a better story
- Book Write-Up: Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, Kissinger on the Couch
- Lactantius the Proto-Pelagian?
- Book Write-Up: Mindszenty the Man, The Conservative Case for Trump (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Current Events Write-Up: Conservative Diversity on Human Depravity, Roberts Abortion Decision, Trump’s One-Sided China Trade Deal, Revolt, The Right to Bear Cannons, Environmentalist Infighting, Korea
- Church Write-Up: Does God Find Us Attractive?
- Book Write-Up: The Death of the West, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Book Write-Up: The Story Retold, by G.K. Beale and Benjamin L. Gladd
- Booknotes: Liberal Fascism, Ship of Fools, McCarthy and His Enemies
- Book Write-Up: The Betrayers, Who Killed the American Family (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Psalm 150 and Christian Sanctification
- Phyllis Schlafly Oral History Project; Equal Pay for UNequal Work
- Current Events Write-Up: Ann Coulter on Confederate Monuments, a Third Way on Religious and LGBT Rights, Waco Regrets
Tag Archives: Harry Truman
David L. Holmes. The Faiths of the Postwar Presidents: From Truman to Obama. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press, 2012. See here to buy the book. David L. Holmes teaches religious studies at the College of William and Mary. About … Continue reading
For my write-up today on volume 2 of Richard Nixon’s memoirs, I’ll use as my starting-point something that Nixon says on page 356: “‘Whatever we say about Harry Truman,’ I said, ‘while it hurt him, a lot of people admired … Continue reading
I have three items for my write-up today on Greg Mitchell’s Tricky Dick and the Pink Lady: Richard Nixon vs. Helen Gahagan Douglas—-Sexual Politics and the Red Scare, 1950. 1. When I was blogging through Irwin Gellman’s The Contender, I … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on Greg Mitchell’s book about the 1950 U.S. Senate race in California between Republican Richard Nixon and Democrat Helen Gahagan Douglas. The book is entitled Tricky Dick and the Pink Lady: Richard … Continue reading
In this post, I’ll talk some about Richard Nixon’s discussion of the Alger Hiss case in his 1962 book, Six Crises. As I said yesterday, Nixon filled in a few of the gaps in my knowledge about the case (although … Continue reading
I finished Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician, which was the first volume of a three-volume series about the life of Richard Nixon. In my latest reading, Ambrose talks about Nixon’s 1962 race for Governor of California against … Continue reading
In my write-up today on Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician, I’ll talk some about Richard Nixon’s relationship with Dwight Eisenhower. This will be based on what I have read so far in Ambrose’s book, however, not what … Continue reading
For my write-up today on Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician, I’d like to use as my starting-point how Ambrose characterizes the Old Guard of the Republican Party, which was influential during Richard Nixon’s time in Congress. On … Continue reading
My latest reading of Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician covered Richard Nixon’s 1950 race against liberal Democratic Representative Helen Gahagan Douglas for the U.S. Senate. How did Ambrose’s narrative about this particular election compare with that of … Continue reading