May 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Chapters 38-39 of The Stand
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- Nancy McKeon on Firefighter
- Book Write-Up: Who Are You to Judge?, by Erwin W. Lutzer
- The Two Witnesses in Apocalypse of Elijah and the Gospel of Nicodemus
- "My Times Are in Thy Hand"
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Tag Archives: Church
Mark’s Distinct Voice, and the Good News (Extremely Scattered Ramblings)
At church this morning, the pastor preached about Mark 1:9-15. Allow me to post this passage in the King James Version (which is in the public domain): 9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from … Continue reading
Movie Review: Higher Ground
I watched the 2011 movie Higher Ground a few nights ago. Higher Ground is about a woman named Corinne, who converts to fundamentalist Christianity and later leaves that belief system. Vera Farmiga starred in and directed the film. Here are … Continue reading
Posted in Movies, Religion Tagged Annika, brain tumor, Carolyn Briggs, christianity, Church, Corinne, doubt, faith, Fundamentalism, fundamentalist Christianity, Higher Ground, Movies, poetry, The Dark World, vera Farmiga Comments Off on Movie Review: Higher Ground
Applying Luke 7 (Jesus Raising the Widow’s Son from the Dead)
At church this morning, the pastor was preaching about a story in Luke 7, in which Jesus raises from the dead a widow’s only son, who died at a young age. This story has troubled me somewhat. V 13 says … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Church, Luke, Religion Tagged bible study group, Church, jesus resurrection, Religion, theology, widow woman Comments Off on Applying Luke 7 (Jesus Raising the Widow’s Son from the Dead)
“I Come with Joy”
At church this morning, I enjoyed reading the lyrics of the hymn, “I Come with Joy”, which we sang for communion. Here are two stanzas that particularly stood out to me, along with my comments. “As Christ breaks bread and … Continue reading
Posted in Asperger's, Church, Community, Religion Tagged Church, evangelical emphases, redeemer presbyterian church, Religion, spiritual mentors, spirituality 1 Comment
Forsake Not the Assembling of Yourselves Together
Hebrews 10:23-25 states (in the King James Version): “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Church, Daily Quiet Time, Hebrews, Joshua, Religion Tagged book of joshua, Church, Feast of Tabernacles, Religion, sermon tapes, theology Comments Off on Forsake Not the Assembling of Yourselves Together
We had a baptism at church this morning. Three things stood out to me. 1. The pastor was pointing out that there are differences between Jesus’ baptism and the baptism that was about to take place. Jesus was an adult … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Church, Religion Tagged Church, infant baptism, infant jesus, Religion, theology Comments Off on Another Baptism
God Provides When You Give?
I was watching Bill Maher’s Religulous recently, and one part of the documentary that stood out to me was when a televangelist was telling his television audience that he knew people on welfare who had committed to give his ministry … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Movies, Religion, Television Tagged Church, Religion, tithes and offerings Comments Off on God Provides When You Give?
Revisiting “What If Jesus Came to Your House?”
At church this morning, we didn’t have a sermon. Rather, we sang a lot of hymns, and a congregant recited the poem, “What If Jesus Came to Your House?” The congregant actually recited this poem a couple of years ago, … Continue reading
Posted in Church, Religion Tagged bible study group, Church, easter sunday, pastor emeritus, Religion, snow storms Comments Off on Revisiting “What If Jesus Came to Your House?”
Week 2 of the John Bible Study
For its Bible study, my church is going through John’s Gospel: Wisdom from Ephesus, with Michael Card. Yesterday, we were discussing the part of John 1 in which two of John the Baptist’s disciples follow Jesus. Jesus asked them what … Continue reading →