October 2022 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Book Write-Up: Farewell to God, by Charles Templeton
- "Take Away Our (Bent or Desire?) to Sinning"
- N.T. Wright on the Virgin Birth
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Genesis 3:22: Man Was Like One of Us
- Bart Ehrman on Luke 3:22 and Anti-Adoptionism
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
Category Archives: Sirach
Sirach 32:17 states: “The sinner will shun reproof, and will find a decision according to his liking” (NRSV). When I read this verse yesterday, it got me thinking about Christian reproof. Here’s my problem with it: A lot of time, … Continue reading
Sirach 16:17 states (in the NRSV): “Do not say, “I am hidden from the Lord, and who from on high has me in mind? Among so many people I am unknown, for what am I in a boundless creation?” The … Continue reading
I’ve been reading Jesus Ben Sira for my daily quiet time. It is part of the Deuterocanonical writings, the books that Catholics accept as canonical but that Protestants and Jews do not. Ben Sira’s book has been labelled “Ben Sira”, … Continue reading
I finished the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira. In this post, I will discuss an item from my latest reading of this book, and then I will talk about another item that is from my previous … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira. 1. Patrick Skehan’s translation of Ben Sira 41:21c, 20b, and 22a says that one should be ashamed of the following: “Of … Continue reading
For my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira, my focus will be on the topic of adultery. The text is Ben Sira 23:18-26. Ben Sira 23:18 criticizes the “man who dishonors his marriage … Continue reading
For my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira, by Patrick Skehan (translator) and Alexander Di Lella (commentator), I will focus on what Di Lella says about Greek attitudes regarding the poor. Ben Sira … Continue reading