Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Church Write-Up: The Need for Salvation and Psalm 130
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Eusebius and the Law
- Does the Bible Have a Place in the Academic Discussion of Theology?
- Ishmael on Hagar's Back
- Soulen-clearing the way for a better story
- "Take Away Our (Bent or Desire?) to Sinning"
- Book Write-Up: Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, Kissinger on the Couch
- Book Write-Up: Mindszenty the Man, The Conservative Case for Trump (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Current Events Write-Up: Conservative Diversity on Human Depravity, Roberts Abortion Decision, Trump’s One-Sided China Trade Deal, Revolt, The Right to Bear Cannons, Environmentalist Infighting, Korea
- Church Write-Up: Does God Find Us Attractive?
- Book Write-Up: The Death of the West, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Book Write-Up: The Story Retold, by G.K. Beale and Benjamin L. Gladd
- Booknotes: Liberal Fascism, Ship of Fools, McCarthy and His Enemies
- Book Write-Up: The Betrayers, Who Killed the American Family (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Psalm 150 and Christian Sanctification
- Phyllis Schlafly Oral History Project; Equal Pay for UNequal Work
- Current Events Write-Up: Ann Coulter on Confederate Monuments, a Third Way on Religious and LGBT Rights, Waco Regrets
Category Archives: Sirach
Sirach 32:17 states: “The sinner will shun reproof, and will find a decision according to his liking” (NRSV). When I read this verse yesterday, it got me thinking about Christian reproof. Here’s my problem with it: A lot of time, … Continue reading
Sirach 16:17 states (in the NRSV): “Do not say, “I am hidden from the Lord, and who from on high has me in mind? Among so many people I am unknown, for what am I in a boundless creation?” The … Continue reading
I’ve been reading Jesus Ben Sira for my daily quiet time. It is part of the Deuterocanonical writings, the books that Catholics accept as canonical but that Protestants and Jews do not. Ben Sira’s book has been labelled “Ben Sira”, … Continue reading
I finished the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira. In this post, I will discuss an item from my latest reading of this book, and then I will talk about another item that is from my previous … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira. 1. Patrick Skehan’s translation of Ben Sira 41:21c, 20b, and 22a says that one should be ashamed of the following: “Of … Continue reading
For my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira, my focus will be on the topic of adultery. The text is Ben Sira 23:18-26. Ben Sira 23:18 criticizes the “man who dishonors his marriage … Continue reading
For my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira, by Patrick Skehan (translator) and Alexander Di Lella (commentator), I will focus on what Di Lella says about Greek attitudes regarding the poor. Ben Sira … Continue reading