Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- Victor French and Ned Beatty on the Waltons
- Is Star Wars Demonic, and Should Christians See It?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- John and Realized Eschatology
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Personal Self-Righteousness or National Privilege?
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- "Take Away Our (Bent or Desire?) to Sinning"
- Book Write-Up: Postmortem Opportunity, by James Beilby
- “The New War on Terror”
- “The Tulsa Libel”
- Book Write-Up: Jeremiah, by Derek Kidner
- Book Write-Up: Does God Exist?, by W. David Beck
- Book Write-Up: The Great Deformation, by David A. Stockman
- Book Write-Up: In the Footsteps of Faith, by John F. MacArthur
- Defiant Tucker Defends His Discussion Of Demographic Change, Exposes ADL Hypocrisy
- Book Write-Up: The Problem of the Old Testament, by Duane A. Garrett
- Asia Times: Life After Death for the Neoconservatives
Category Archives: Sirach
Sirach 32:17 states: “The sinner will shun reproof, and will find a decision according to his liking” (NRSV). When I read this verse yesterday, it got me thinking about Christian reproof. Here’s my problem with it: A lot of time, … Continue reading
Sirach 16:17 states (in the NRSV): “Do not say, “I am hidden from the Lord, and who from on high has me in mind? Among so many people I am unknown, for what am I in a boundless creation?” The … Continue reading
I’ve been reading Jesus Ben Sira for my daily quiet time. It is part of the Deuterocanonical writings, the books that Catholics accept as canonical but that Protestants and Jews do not. Ben Sira’s book has been labelled “Ben Sira”, … Continue reading
I finished the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira. In this post, I will discuss an item from my latest reading of this book, and then I will talk about another item that is from my previous … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira. 1. Patrick Skehan’s translation of Ben Sira 41:21c, 20b, and 22a says that one should be ashamed of the following: “Of … Continue reading
For my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira, my focus will be on the topic of adultery. The text is Ben Sira 23:18-26. Ben Sira 23:18 criticizes the “man who dishonors his marriage … Continue reading
For my write-up today on the Anchor Bible commentary on The Wisdom of Ben Sira, by Patrick Skehan (translator) and Alexander Di Lella (commentator), I will focus on what Di Lella says about Greek attitudes regarding the poor. Ben Sira … Continue reading