Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Church Write-Up: The Need for Salvation and Psalm 130
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Eusebius and the Law
- Does the Bible Have a Place in the Academic Discussion of Theology?
- Ishmael on Hagar's Back
- Soulen-clearing the way for a better story
- Book Write-Up: Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, Kissinger on the Couch
- Lactantius the Proto-Pelagian?
- Book Write-Up: Mindszenty the Man, The Conservative Case for Trump (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Current Events Write-Up: Conservative Diversity on Human Depravity, Roberts Abortion Decision, Trump’s One-Sided China Trade Deal, Revolt, The Right to Bear Cannons, Environmentalist Infighting, Korea
- Church Write-Up: Does God Find Us Attractive?
- Book Write-Up: The Death of the West, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Book Write-Up: The Story Retold, by G.K. Beale and Benjamin L. Gladd
- Booknotes: Liberal Fascism, Ship of Fools, McCarthy and His Enemies
- Book Write-Up: The Betrayers, Who Killed the American Family (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Psalm 150 and Christian Sanctification
- Phyllis Schlafly Oral History Project; Equal Pay for UNequal Work
- Current Events Write-Up: Ann Coulter on Confederate Monuments, a Third Way on Religious and LGBT Rights, Waco Regrets
Category Archives: Origen
“Find a Friend”; God’s Representative Under Limits; Relativism and Education; The New Concealed; Hiding Knowledge
1. Zosia Zaks, Life and Love: Positive Strategies for Autistic Adults, page 263: Make a list of Buddies you can trust. If you don’t really have any friends, you can ask your parents or siblings to help you locate one … Continue reading
Pennywise Is Still a Stranger!; Throne of the LORD; The Right Amount of Anger; MT and LXX Working Together for Supersessionism (According to Origen); Codex
1. Zosia Zaks, Life and Love: Positive Strategies for Autistic Adults, page 247: Our trusting nature and our autistic way of thinking are some of the reasons why we are at greater risk [of danger]. We don’t see hidden intentions. … Continue reading
1. Zosia Zaks, Life and Love: Positive Strategies for Autistic Adults, page 222: Using index cards and magic markers, both partners can make flash cards to address each other’s concerns during regular conversations. The flash cards explain what is happening … Continue reading
I completed Henri Crouzel’s biography of Origen yesterday. As I read, I jotted down page numbers with things I could discuss on this blog. I have ten of them! This morning, I’m not in much of a mood to write, … Continue reading
I finished Philip Davies’ Scribes and Schools yesterday. My impression of his argument is that he believes the canon of the Hebrew Bible was roughly determined in the Hasmonean Period, when Israel was eager to establish a national identity against … Continue reading
I’m at the library right now because the carpet of my apartment is being cleaned today. Why the computer I’m on has a keyboard that inclines backwards is beyond me! It’s certainly not for my benefit, I can tell you … Continue reading
I’ll be blogging through two books this week. One is Philip R. Davies’ Scribes and Scrolls: The Canonization of the Hebrew Scriptures. The other is Henri Crouzel’s biography of Origen. 1. For Davies’ book, I’m trying to pin down his … Continue reading
1. Jennifer M. Dines, The Septuagint (New York: T&T Clark, 2004) 98. Dines is discussing the Hexapla, which was created by the Christian thinker Origen (second-third centuries C.E.). The Hexapla had six columns of Bible versions. One was the Hebrew … Continue reading