March 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- Augustine, Aquinas, and Luther on the Sabbath
- Were the Maccabees Aaronides?
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- In Memoriam: Steve Hays
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Category Archives: Luke
Unrefined Reflections on the Pharisee and the Publican
These are unrefined reflections. That means I’m just writing what I think, and if people don’t understand what I’m saying, then they don’t have to read it. I’m not in the mood right now to phrase everything smoothly and accurately. … Continue reading
Posted in Alcoholism, Bible, Church, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Religion 4 Comments
Samaritans, Up to Jerusalem!
In John 4:20-21, Jesus has a discussion with the woman at the well about the proper place of worship. The woman says to him, “Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you say that the place where people must worship … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Religion Comments Off on Samaritans, Up to Jerusalem!
In Luke 17:3-4, we read: “Be on your guard! If another disciple sins, you must rebuke the offender, and if there is repentance, you must forgive. And if the same person sins against you seven times a day, and turns … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Religion 2 Comments
Lost Stuff (Luke 15)
For my daily quiet time recently, I read the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son, respectively (Luke 15). I’m sure many of you know the stories. A shepherd leaves his flock in search of … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Movies, Religion 5 Comments
ACTS in Prayer
I’m reading Victor Kuligin’s Ten Things I Wish Jesus Never Said. On some level, it’s like Hard Sayings of Jesus and Hard Sayings of the New Testament: it tries to explain away Jesus’ really difficult sayings (e.g., hate your parents, … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Books, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Movies, Prayer, Religion, Television, Touched by an Angel 2 Comments
John the Baptist: Could Steph Be Right?
In my post, John the Baptist and Jesus, I had a discussion with Steph about whether or not John the Baptist proclaimed Jesus to be the Messiah. Steph argued that the synoptics do not present him doing so, and I … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Matthew, Religion 2 Comments
Jesus and Bethlehem
At DePauw University, a religion professor of mine said that Matthew and Luke have different goals in their stories about Jesus’ birth: Matthew wants to get Joseph and Mary from Bethlehem to Nazareth, whereas Luke wants to get them from … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Life, Luke, Religion, School 13 Comments
"I Feel So Clean!"
In Luke 3:19-20, we read, “But Herod the ruler, who had been rebuked by him because of Herodias, his brother’s wife, and because of all the evil things that Herod had done, added to them all by shutting up John … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Books, Daily Quiet Time, James Dobson, Life, Luke, Religion 4 Comments
A False Hope?
I’ve often struggled with the opening chapters of Luke. When you watch most Jesus movies (including the controversial Last Temptation of Christ), you get the following message: Jesus was a different kind of Messiah from what most Jews were anticipating. … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Luke, Religion Comments Off on A False Hope?