March 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- Book Write-Up: The Abomination of Desolation in Biblical Eschatology
- Book Write-Up: Psychology and Spiritual Formation in Dialogue
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Book Write-Up: Between One Faith and Another
- The Participatory Model of the Atonement
- Book Write-Up: A Light to My Path, by Lynn Austin
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Category Archives: Joshua
Book Write-Up: Glory Days, by Max Lucado
Max Lucado. Glory Days: Living Your Promised Land Life Now. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2015. See here to buy the book. Max Lucado notices that a number of Christians are in a rut. They are not overcoming temptation. They wonder if … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Joshua, Religion Tagged book of joshua, Glory Days, Max Lucado 4 Comments
A Truly Fresh Start?
I wrote a post on May 24, 2013 about the underwater memorial in Joshua 4:9 and Jimmy Swaggart’s view that the stones comprising that memorial were from Israel’s experience in the wilderness, and that the message of the memorial was … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Joshua, Religion Tagged faith, Jimmy Swaggart, Religion, theology Comments Off on A Truly Fresh Start?
Who Wrote Joshua 22?
I was thinking about the authorship of Joshua 22. I don’t know anything about the scholarly discussion on this issue, but I was just looking at elements of the chapter and I was asking myself who could have written it. … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Joshua, Religion Tagged central sanctuary, deuteronomist, deuteronomistic, moshe weinfeld, phinehas, place god Comments Off on Who Wrote Joshua 22?
Forsake Not the Assembling of Yourselves Together
Hebrews 10:23-25 states (in the King James Version): “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Church, Daily Quiet Time, Hebrews, Joshua, Religion Tagged book of joshua, Church, Feast of Tabernacles, Religion, sermon tapes, theology Comments Off on Forsake Not the Assembling of Yourselves Together
Joshua 4:9: The Underwater Memorial
In Joshua 4, the Israelites cross the Jordan River while it is parted, as the Levites stand in the midst of the Jordan upholding the Ark of the Covenant. The Israelites carry twelve stones to the shore to build a … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Joshua, Religion Tagged ark of the covenant, gilgal, Jimmy Swaggart, jordan river, study bible, twelve stones 3 Comments
Crossing the Jordan and the Question of Miracles
In Joshua 3, the Israelites cross the Jordan River on dry ground. God does this miracle to affirm before the Israelites that God is with Joshua, as God was with Moses. But was it really a miracle? The Intervarsity Press … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Joshua, Life, Religion, School Tagged intervarsity press, Religion, sargon ii, theology Comments Off on Crossing the Jordan and the Question of Miracles
“Your beliefs should be in line with your pastor’s”, the leader of a Bible study group I was in said in the group’s first meeting of the school year. “I believe in church authority, so the minister has a right … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Church, Daily Quiet Time, Joshua, Life, Religion, School Tagged bible study group, human-rights, leadership, Politics, Religion, theology Comments Off on Respecting Authority
Completing Nelson’s Commentary on Joshua
I finished Richard Nelson’s commentary on the Book of Joshua. 1. Nelson talks about the distribution of the Promised Land among the tribes in the Book of Joshua, and he dates parts of that story to different times. One historical … Continue reading
Benjaminite Joshua Stories, Cherem Loopholes, Sun and Moon Standing Still
I’m continuing my way through Richard Nelson’s commentary on the Book of Joshua. I have three items for today. 1. On the story of Achan in the Book of Joshua (Joshua 7), Nelson states: “Because wicked Achan is so clearly … Continue reading
Starting Nelson’s Commentary on Joshua
I started Richard Nelson’s commentary on the Book of Joshua. I have three items. 1. Nelson does not believe that the Book of Joshua presents an accurate account of the Conquest, for the same reasons that many biblical scholars reject … Continue reading