March 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- John and Realized Eschatology
- About Me
- Beale on Revelation 17
- God's Not Dead: Josh's Risk, and Professor Radisson's Conversion
- Book Write-Up: A Week in the Life of a Roman Centurion
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Category Archives: III Maccabees
Scattered Ramblings on Loving One’s Neighbor and Relationships
III Maccabees is about the attempt by King Ptolemy IV Philopator in the late third century B.C.E. to obliterate the Jews of Egypt, and God’s deliverance of the Jews. In the course of this plot, God messes with Ptolemy’s brain, … Continue reading
Posted in Asperger's, III Maccabees, Movies, Once Upon a Time, Religion, Television 3 Comments
Working with Who We Are?
I was reading III Maccabees recently. III Maccabees is about the attempt by King Ptolemy IV Philopator in the late third century B.C.E. to obliterate the Jews of Egypt. But the king has a miraculous change of heart and turns … Continue reading
Posted in III Maccabees, Religion Comments Off on Working with Who We Are?
Source: John Sellars, Stoicism (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2006) 108-109. “If I am doing my best to be a rational being who is free and independent of others, then I will sometimes have to make choices that may appear … Continue reading
Posted in Comps, Greco-Roman, I Maccabees, II Maccabees, III Maccabees, IV Maccabees, Religion 2 Comments
Still More on Maccabees and Theodicy
I finished III Maccabees last night. III Maccabees is not actually about the Maccabees, for it relates to the persecution of the Jews under King Ptolemy Philopator of Egypt (221-203 B.C.E.). Ptolemy defeats the Seleucid Antiochus III at the Battle … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, I Maccabees, II Maccabees, III Maccabees, Religion, Theodicy Comments Off on Still More on Maccabees and Theodicy