January 2022 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Scrooge v. Ghost of Christmas Present on the Sabbath
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Deuteronomy 24:4: Why Was the Ex-Wife Defiled?
- Genesis 3:22: Man Was Like One of Us
- Andrew Klavan on Mel Gibson
- The Death Penalty
- Psalm 119: Qoph
- Lazarus and Osiris?
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
- Elder Platform for California
- Books Write-Up: Obadiah, Jonah and Micah; Letters for the Church; the Paradox of Sonship
- Common Dreams: Biden Applauded for Executive Order Targeting ‘Insidious’ Anti-Worker Practices
- Book Write-Up: The Path of Faith, by Brandon D. Crowe
Category Archives: Holidays
I went to two church services on Easter Sunday. The first was the 8:30 am traditional service at a Missouri Synod Lutheran church. The second was a United Methodist church service. Here are some of my thoughts: A. I was … Continue reading
I have three items about last Sunday’s church service. A. Someone was telling the congregation about his Thanksgiving. He was talking about sitting on the couch, watching football on TV after having his Thanksgiving meal, dozing off. In the midst … Continue reading
Last Sunday, I visited a Presbyterian church. It was Mother’s Day, so the pastor gave people in the audience the microphone so they could share thoughts about their mothers. A young man talked about how his mother taught him not … Continue reading
I have three items for my write-up on church this morning. Since today is Easter Sunday, the sermon was about Jesus’ resurrection. The pastor focused on the story in Luke 24. A. The pastor referred to the Jewish concept of … Continue reading
Many people see New Year’s Day as a time of hope and new beginnings. We may have had a bad year, and we hope for a better one. Or we may simply hope for a better year, even if the … Continue reading
In Matthew 2, magi from the east present the child Jesus with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Why did they give Jesus those particular gifts? Here are three items. The first two items draw from Tim Widowfield’s post on … Continue reading
During my prayer time last night, the subject of thanksgiving entered my mind because, well, it is Thanksgiving! Philippians 4:6 came to my mind: “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your … Continue reading
For Easter Sunday, I went to church this morning. Actually, I go to church every Sunday, but there were more people at church this morning because it is Easter. My pastor preached about the folded napkin, or burial cloth, that … Continue reading
It’s Christmas today! Here are some thoughts: 1. I didn’t go with my Mom and her husband to midnight mass last night because, well, it was at midnight, and I was tired. Maybe I’d be more cheerful today had I … Continue reading
My pastor in last Sunday’s sermon was comparing Jesus to Santa Claus. My pastor was actually seeing similarities between the two, but others have said that there are differences. Santa Claus makes a list, checks it twice, and is going … Continue reading