Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Did Adam and Eve Have the Holy Spirit?: "The Conflict of Adam and Eve with Satan"
- Chapters 38-39 of The Stand
- About Me
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Bart Ehrman on Luke 3:22 and Anti-Adoptionism
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- Were the Pastoral Epistles Responding to the "Acts of Paul and Thecla"?
- Charlene's Story
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
- Elder Platform for California
- Books Write-Up: Obadiah, Jonah and Micah; Letters for the Church; the Paradox of Sonship
- Common Dreams: Biden Applauded for Executive Order Targeting ‘Insidious’ Anti-Worker Practices
- Book Write-Up: The Path of Faith, by Brandon D. Crowe
- Glenn Greenwald: Questions About the FBI’s Role in 1/6 Are Mocked Because the FBI Shapes Liberal Corporate Media
- Books Write-Up: Worshiping with the Reformers; Understanding Gender Dysphoria
- Book Write-Up: Postmortem Opportunity, by James Beilby
- “The New War on Terror”
Category Archives: George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards
As my readers know, I finished George Marsden’s excellent biography of Jonathan Edwards. In this post, I’ll talk about some of my experiences with Jonathan Edwards’ works, particularly when I was in high school. If my memory is correct, I … Continue reading
I finished George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life. In this post, I’ll talk about something that Marsden says on page 536: “In one of his most controversial observations, Edwards argued that the saints in heaven would rejoice in knowing of … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life. 1. In my latest reading, Marsden went into Jonathan Edwards’ views regarding the historical critical method of studying the Bible. This was an issue that … Continue reading
For my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, I’ll talk about Marsden’s summary on page 442 of Edwards’ views regarding moral responsibility. Later in his life, Jonathan Edwards wrote works that were defending Calvinism, in a world … Continue reading
There were a variety of topics in my latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life: Edwards’ power struggles with the Williams at Stockbridge, as Edwards justified his stubbornness on religious grounds; the wars between the English in America, … Continue reading
In my latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, Jonathan Edwards is serving in Stockbridge, a village that had both English people and Native Americans. Edwards saw this community as anticipatory of the millennium (the thousand year reign … Continue reading
My latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life was about Jonathan Edwards getting kicked out of the pastorate at his church in Northampton. Edwards had pursued a controversial policy of requiring people to demonstrate that they had a … Continue reading
I wrote a couple of posts ago about Jonathan Edwards’ beliefs regarding the millennium, the thousand year reign of Christ mentioned in Revelation 20. In my latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, I learned more about this … Continue reading
My latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life concerned Edwards’ dispute with Charles Chauncy about the Great Awakening, as well as Edwards’ attempts to exercise church discipline over some men who were behaving inappropriately. Edwards was a big … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life. 1. On page 255, Marsden says the following about people’s reactions to Jonathan Edwards’ personality: “”While opponents found [Edwards’] scrupulousness cold and lacking in charity, … Continue reading