Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Book Write-Up: Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, Kissinger on the Couch
- Ramblings on Jeremiah 30:21: The Prince Who Dares (Or Engages His Heart) to Approach God
- Lazarus and Osiris?
- Isaiah 59:16-17: A Vulnerable God?
- Soulen-clearing the way for a better story
- Ramblings on The Devil's Advocate and Demons Being Unafraid of the Bible
- Chapters 38-39 of The Stand
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Book Write-Up: When Calls the Heart, by Janette Oke
- Booknotes: Puritans, Brown on LGBTQ Movement, Laura Ingraham
- Book Write-Up: Mindszenty the Man, The Conservative Case for Trump (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Current Events Write-Up: Conservative Diversity on Human Depravity, Roberts Abortion Decision, Trump’s One-Sided China Trade Deal, Revolt, The Right to Bear Cannons, Environmentalist Infighting, Korea
- Church Write-Up: Does God Find Us Attractive?
- Book Write-Up: The Death of the West, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Book Write-Up: The Story Retold, by G.K. Beale and Benjamin L. Gladd
- Booknotes: Liberal Fascism, Ship of Fools, McCarthy and His Enemies
- Book Write-Up: The Betrayers, Who Killed the American Family (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Psalm 150 and Christian Sanctification
- Phyllis Schlafly Oral History Project; Equal Pay for UNequal Work
Category Archives: George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards
As my readers know, I finished George Marsden’s excellent biography of Jonathan Edwards. In this post, I’ll talk about some of my experiences with Jonathan Edwards’ works, particularly when I was in high school. If my memory is correct, I … Continue reading
I finished George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life. In this post, I’ll talk about something that Marsden says on page 536: “In one of his most controversial observations, Edwards argued that the saints in heaven would rejoice in knowing of … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life. 1. In my latest reading, Marsden went into Jonathan Edwards’ views regarding the historical critical method of studying the Bible. This was an issue that … Continue reading
For my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, I’ll talk about Marsden’s summary on page 442 of Edwards’ views regarding moral responsibility. Later in his life, Jonathan Edwards wrote works that were defending Calvinism, in a world … Continue reading
There were a variety of topics in my latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life: Edwards’ power struggles with the Williams at Stockbridge, as Edwards justified his stubbornness on religious grounds; the wars between the English in America, … Continue reading
In my latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, Jonathan Edwards is serving in Stockbridge, a village that had both English people and Native Americans. Edwards saw this community as anticipatory of the millennium (the thousand year reign … Continue reading
My latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life was about Jonathan Edwards getting kicked out of the pastorate at his church in Northampton. Edwards had pursued a controversial policy of requiring people to demonstrate that they had a … Continue reading
I wrote a couple of posts ago about Jonathan Edwards’ beliefs regarding the millennium, the thousand year reign of Christ mentioned in Revelation 20. In my latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life, I learned more about this … Continue reading
My latest reading of George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life concerned Edwards’ dispute with Charles Chauncy about the Great Awakening, as well as Edwards’ attempts to exercise church discipline over some men who were behaving inappropriately. Edwards was a big … Continue reading
I have two items for my write-up today on George Marsden’s Jonathan Edwards: A Life. 1. On page 255, Marsden says the following about people’s reactions to Jonathan Edwards’ personality: “”While opponents found [Edwards’] scrupulousness cold and lacking in charity, … Continue reading