Posts I Like
July 2016 M T W T F S S « Jun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- It's Prohibitively Expensive, But...
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Reading Vanhoozer in Light of Ancient Aliens
- Book Write-Up: Keynes Hayek, by Nicholas Wapshott
- Chapters 19, 21-23 of The Stand
- Deuteronomy 24:4: Why Was the Ex-Wife Defiled?
- Turning Stones into Bread: Why Was It Wrong?
- Book Write-Up: How I Changed My Mind About Evolution
- Does God’s Knowledge Mean God’s Justice?
- Jesus is Humankind’s Saviour, But Not a Literary Critic.
- It’s Prohibitively Expensive, But…
- The Struggling Jesus and Word of Faith Christology
- Origen and Calvin: Christological Smackdown!
- Scattered Ramblings on Contentment and Hope
- Book Write-Up: The Mosaic of Christian Belief, by Roger Olson
- Theses on Brexit and It Not Being Simple
- Identity, Service, Law, and Donation
- Book Write-Up: Land of Silence, by Tessa Afshar
Category Archives: Fishbane
I started Michael Fishbane’s Biblical Myth and Rabbinic Mythmaking (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003) today. Here are two points that stood out to me: 1. On page 33, Fishbane cites an article by Morton Smith entitled “The Common Theology … Continue reading
Michael Fishbane, “Use, Authority and Interpretation of Mikra at Qumran,” Mikra: Text, Translation, Reading and Interpretation of the Hebrew Bible in Ancient Judaism and Early Christianity, ed. Martin Jan Mulder (Peabody: Hendrickson, 2004) 339-377. My Plunder Paper is for the … Continue reading
Source: Birger A. Pearson, “Jewish Sources in Gnostic Literature,” Jewish Writings of the Second Temple Period, ed. Michael E. Stone (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1984) 479. “…the Gnostic pattern featuring the ‘blasphemy’ or ‘vain claim’ of the Demiurge–itself based upon Jewish texts … Continue reading
Source: Michael E. Stone, “Apocalyptic Literature,” Jewish Writings of the Second Temple Period, ed. Michael E. Stone (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1984) 428-429. “Classic in this connection is 4 Ezra 14 claiming Mosaic authority, indeed authority beyond that of Moses, for the … Continue reading
Source: Michael Fishbane’s Biblical Interpretation in Ancient Israel (New York: Oxford, 1988) 93. Exodus 21:22-25 states the following: “When people who are fighting injure a pregnant woman so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no further harm follows, the … Continue reading
Source: Michael Fishbane’s Biblical Interpretation in Ancient Israel (New York: Oxford, 1988) 186-187. Does the Torah command sacrifice of the firstborn? We saw that Exodus 22:29-30 commands the Israelites to give their firstborn to God, but does that necessarily mean … Continue reading
Source: Michael Fishbane’s Biblical Interpretation in Ancient Israel (New York: Oxford, 1988) 185. Ezekiel 20:25-26 states: “Moreover I gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not live. I defiled them through their very gifts, … Continue reading