January 2022 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- More on Origen and the Sabbath
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- "The Amazing Power of Prayer"
- Friendship, in Stephen King's IT
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
- Elder Platform for California
- Books Write-Up: Obadiah, Jonah and Micah; Letters for the Church; the Paradox of Sonship
- Common Dreams: Biden Applauded for Executive Order Targeting ‘Insidious’ Anti-Worker Practices
- Book Write-Up: The Path of Faith, by Brandon D. Crowe
Category Archives: Buddhism
Teaching of the Buddha. Tokyo: Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai, 1966, 1991. Printed by Toppan Printing Co. I got this book at the Goodwill. It contains Buddhist sayings from various Buddhist writings. I have long known about Buddhism. I may have first … Continue reading
I have two items for my Church Write-Up this week. A. Last Sunday, I visited a Missouri Synod Lutheran church. The theme of the service was lament. Preaching about Psalm 31:9-16, the pastor said that the Psalmist offers to God … Continue reading
I finished Daniel Frick’s Reinventing Richard Nixon: A Cultural History of an American Obsession. In this post, I’ll use as my starting-point something that Frick says on pages 222-223: “…Dallas Boyd, who has developed a fascination with Buddhism, theosophy, astrology, … Continue reading
On page 286 of Circle of Life: Traditional Teachings of Native American Elders, James David Audlin talks about attitudes to avoid when one wants to receive a vision: “If we decide in our own minds, ‘I am never going to … Continue reading
I have three items for my write-up today on Chapter 7 of David Marshall’s True Son of Heaven: How Jesus Fulfills the Chinese Culture. This chapter is entitled “Buddha Walks the Silk Road”. 1. On page 82, Marshall critiques the … Continue reading
For my write-up today on David Marshall’s Jesus and the Religions of Man, I’ll blog about Chapter 8, “The Pursuit of Happiness”. But I will also bring up things that Marshall has said elsewhere in this book. Unfortunately, I can’t … Continue reading
For background, see Altruism and Jesus Clones. Felix links to an article on his blog that criticizes a common Christian claim: that Christians should give up themselves. In “Altruism,” I discussed this in light of altruism. In “Jesus Clones,” I … Continue reading
Source: John Sellars, Stoicism (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2006) 3. “Nevertheless the result is a powerful summary of Stoic practical philosophy, and the opening chapter perfectly captures the essence of Epictetus’ philosophy as we know it: ‘Of things, some … Continue reading