Posts I Like
Top Posts & Pages
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Chapters 19, 21-23 of The Stand
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- "The Struggle for an Education"
- The Death Penalty
- Book Write-Up: When Calls the Heart, by Janette Oke
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Book Write-Up: Among the Gods, by Lynn Austin
- I Watched Gandhi Last Night
- Book Write-Up: A Week in the Life of a Greco-Roman Woman
- Church Write-Up: Suffering and New Life
- Did Essenes identify with the Herods?
- The “Cushite” wife of Moses
- The wife and other problems about Cain
- An Exodus of children?
- The Timna mines and the Exodus
- Some issues concerning the exodus as an event in time
- Wilderness wandering and settlement of the land at the same time?
- Cain, Abel and anti-farmer prejudice
Monthly Archives: September 2019
David Haugen and Susan Musser, ed. Health Care: Opposing Viewpoints. Greenhaven, 2012. See here to purchase the book. I decided to revisit the Opposing Viewpoints series. I read these when I was a kid. Although my mind was usually already … Continue reading
The main text for this morning’s church service was II Timothy 2:1-9: “Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the … Continue reading
1. A common rationale for Purgatory is that are sanctification is incomplete at the moment of death, but sinners can’t enter heaven, so we require an interim postmortem state to complete our sanctification before we are ready for heaven. 347 … Continue reading
Church Write-Up: Mortal and Venial Sins; Muslims and Souls in the Grave; Unaware Ghosts; No Firm Ground
Here are four items for my Church Write-Up about last Sunday’s church activities. This is an LCMS church. A. The Sunday School class is about death, and the teacher was going into what various religions believe about the afterlife. He … Continue reading
John MacArthur. Matthew 1-7. Moody, 1985. See here to purchase the book. This is the first volume of John MacArthur’s extensive “MacArthur New Testament Commentary” series. It covers Matthew 1-7. Here are some thoughts and observations: A. I felt crushed … Continue reading
Binyamin Applebaum. The Economists’ Hour: False Prophets, Free Markets, and the Fracture of Society. Little, Brown and Company, 2019. See here to purchase the book. Binyamin Applebaum writes about business and economics for the New York Times. The Economists’ Hour … Continue reading
My church resumed its Wednesday Bible study, after a three month hiatus. It will not meet next week, though, since the pastor will be at a funeral. The pastor talked about Mark 9-10. He was arguing that the pericopes in … Continue reading