Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- Maccabees and Suicide
- Joan of Arcadia, Season 3
- Chapters 19, 21-23 of The Stand
- The "We-Passages"
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- The Hour Is Come!
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Monthly Archives: May 2016
Book Write-Up: From This Moment, by Elizabeth Camden
Elizabeth Camden. From This Moment. Minneapolis: Bethany House Publishers, 2016. See here to buy the book. From This Moment is set in the nineteenth century. Romulus White is the editor of a well-respected scientific magazine that is published in Boston. … Continue reading
Posted in Uncategorized Comments Off on Book Write-Up: From This Moment, by Elizabeth Camden
Book Write-Up: Knowing Yourself Knowing God
Dr. John F. Shackelford. Knowing Yourself Knowing God: From an Ego-Run-Life to a God-Run-Life. 2015. See here to buy the book. John F. Shackelford is a licensed psychologist. He has a degree from the Rosemead School of Psychology at Biola … Continue reading
Posted in Psychology, Religion Comments Off on Book Write-Up: Knowing Yourself Knowing God
Can Bernie Sanders Supporters Replicate the Success of the Christian Coalition?
Early in May, Rachel Maddow interviewed Bernie Sanders in Burlington, Vermont. Maddow asked Sanders how his vast array of support could be marshaled into a political movement after the election. She drew a comparison with Pat Robertson’s candidacy in 1988. … Continue reading
Posted in Candidates, Politics 1 Comment
Church Write-Up: God’s Love Is Constant
Last Sunday, I visited a non-denominational evangelical church. This church is doing a series on disappointment. It showed a scene from the movie Bruce Almighty in which Bruce is at Niagra Falls and learns on live TV that he did … Continue reading
Book Review: John C. Collins, Apocalypse, Prophecy, and Pseudepigraphy
Reading Acts Collins, John C. Apocalypse, Prophecy, and Pseudepigraphy: On Jewish Apocalyptic Literature. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 2015. 399 pp. Pb; $34. Link to Eerdmans Apocalypse, Prophecy, and Pseudepigraphy collects nineteen essays published by Collins in various journals and … Continue reading
Posted in Uncategorized Comments Off on Book Review: John C. Collins, Apocalypse, Prophecy, and Pseudepigraphy
Enoch and the Essene Hypothesis
Reading Acts The book known today as 1 Enoch not a single book, but rather a series of short books written over a period of time. They share some themes and interests, most obviously revelations given to Enoch. Since four … Continue reading
Posted in Uncategorized Comments Off on Enoch and the Essene Hypothesis
Benjamin Brown on Halakhic Labor Law: Statist or Democratic?
Originally posted on The Book of Doctrines and Opinions::
One of my favorite articles by Prof. Benjamin Brown of Hebrew University has recently been translated and revised. It was first given in 2006 and here it is online a decade…
Posted in Uncategorized Comments Off on Benjamin Brown on Halakhic Labor Law: Statist or Democratic?
Book Write-Up: Freedom, by Jeremy Griffith
Jeremy Griffith. Freedom: The End of the Human Condition. Sydney, Australia: WTM Publishing, 2016. See here to buy the book. Jeremy Griffith is an Australian biologist. This book and his treatise have been recommended by a number of academics. Harry … Continue reading
Posted in Uncategorized 2 Comments
Book Write-Up: The Counselor, by A.W. Tozer
A.W. Tozer. The Counselor. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2015. See here to buy the book. A.W. Tozer was a pastor and Christian author who lived from 1897 to 1963. I have seen him quoted numerous times. I have finally read a … Continue reading
Posted in Religion Tagged A.W. Tozer Comments Off on Book Write-Up: The Counselor, by A.W. Tozer
Book Write-Up: If God Is Good, by Randy Alcorn
Randy Alcorn. If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil. Colorado Springs: Multnomah, 2009. See here to buy the book. If God Is Good is about how Christians can interact with the problem of suffering. This … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Religion, Theodicy Tagged If God Is Good, open theism, problem of evil, Randy Alcorn, Theodicy 1 Comment