Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Lactantius the Proto-Pelagian?
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Soulen-clearing the way for a better story
- Origen and Calvin: Christological Smackdown!
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Does the Bible Have a Place in the Academic Discussion of Theology?
- Andy Griffith Show: "Runaway Kid," and Moral Questions
- Book Write-Up: A Multitude of Peoples, by Vince L. Bantu
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- Book Write-Up: The Death of the West, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Book Write-Up: The Story Retold, by G.K. Beale and Benjamin L. Gladd
- Booknotes: Liberal Fascism, Ship of Fools, McCarthy and His Enemies
- Book Write-Up: The Betrayers, Who Killed the American Family (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Psalm 150 and Christian Sanctification
- Phyllis Schlafly Oral History Project; Equal Pay for UNequal Work
- Current Events Write-Up: Ann Coulter on Confederate Monuments, a Third Way on Religious and LGBT Rights, Waco Regrets
- Church Write-Up: The Need for Salvation and Psalm 130
- Book Write-Ups: Safe—-Not Sorry, A Choice Not an Echo Exp. (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Book Write-Up: Paul, Apostle of God’s Glory in Christ, by Thomas R. Schreiner
Monthly Archives: August 2014
At church this morning, the pastor said that the purpose of life is not to get rich, but to learn how to love. I do not always know how I, as an introvert, can love other people. One thing I … Continue reading
Heman’s sons sang and prophesied with musical instruments at the sanctuary. Psalm 88 is attributed to Heman. What catches a number of scholars’ attention is I Chronicles 24:4, which lists the sons of Heman: “Of Heman: the sons of Heman; … Continue reading
Amity Shlaes. The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression. HarperCollins, 2007. I enjoyed Amity Shlaes’ The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression. Whereas her biography of Calvin Coolidge was rather heavy, her prose in … Continue reading
T. Desmond Alexander. From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch, Third Edition. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2012. See here for Baker’s page about this book. In From Paradise to the Promised Land, T. Desmond Alexander … Continue reading
A while back, I started following someone’s posts. She used to work for an abortion clinic, then she quit that line of work as she concluded that abortion was murder. What especially got on my nerves were her posts that … Continue reading
The defense of the faith (apologetics) along evidentiary or rational lines is not entirely without merit. It can serve a certain negative role, as in the way historical Jesus research can rule-out patently false postulates. To use Sarah Coakley’s examples, Thus,…
I am going through the Book of Jonah for my daily quiet time. In my reading this morning, something puzzled me, but I was unable to articulate why it was puzzling me. I had a hard time formulating my question, … Continue reading
Frank Peretti writes Christian fiction. Some have called him the Christian Stephen King because he has written Christian horror, plots that have demons or monsters. There are times when his work does not have those things, though. I think of … Continue reading
I have three items for my write-up on this morning’s church service. 1. During the children’s part of the service, the pastor and his puppet, Jake, were addressing what Christians can do in response to the problems in the world. … Continue reading