Posts I Like
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- Music in The Stand
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- The Pagan Sailors' Religious Beliefs in Jonah 1
- Book Write-Up: The Abomination of Desolation in Biblical Eschatology
- Christian Actors
- "Take Away Our (Bent or Desire?) to Sinning"
- Book Write-Up: Young Man Luther, by Erik H. Erikson
- Church Write-Up: Romans 8:14-30 and Forgiveness
- Book Write-Up: Suicide of a Superpower, State of Emergency, Day of Reckoning (Patrick J. Buchanan)
- The Insulted Soldiers Hoax
- Book Write-Ups: Libido Dominandi, The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit (E. Michael Jones)
- Romans 7-8 and Review of Discerning Ethics
- Book Write-Up: Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Church Write-Up: Baptism and Love
- Book Write-Up: Republican Women, Divided We Stand
- Church Write-Up about Romans 5-6, Tension, and Witnessing, and Book Write-Up about the IVP Reformation Commentary on Joshua, Judges, and Ruth
- Book Write-Ups: Strike from Space, Ambush at Vladivostok (Phyllis Schlafly)
Monthly Archives: January 2013
For my write-up today on Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician, I’d like to use as my starting-point how Ambrose characterizes the Old Guard of the Republican Party, which was influential during Richard Nixon’s time in Congress. On … Continue reading
In The Search for God at Harvard, Ari Goldman talks about a conversation that he had with Louis Jacobs, a Jew who was teaching Jewish studies at Harvard Divinity School when Goldman was a student there. Goldman had just heard … Continue reading
My latest reading of Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician covered Richard Nixon’s 1950 race against liberal Democratic Representative Helen Gahagan Douglas for the U.S. Senate. How did Ambrose’s narrative about this particular election compare with that of … Continue reading
In my latest reading of The Search for God at Harvard (copyright 1991), Ari Goldman talks about the dearth of Christian spirituality at Harvard Divinity School, as people sought to avoid offending those from non-Christian religions. He says that the … Continue reading
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog. Here’s an excerpt: 4,329 films were submitted to the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. This blog had 28,000 views in 2012. If each view were a film, this … Continue reading
In my latest reading of Nixon: The Education of a Politician, Stephen Ambrose talked about the Alger Hiss case. I did not finish Ambrose’s discussion of it, but I’ll comment on what I did read. Let me start this post … Continue reading
I have three items for my write-up today on Stephen Ambrose’s Nixon: The Education of a Politician. 1. I read about Richard Nixon’s 1946 run for Congress against Democratic Congressman Jerry Voorhis. Ambrose overlaps with Irwin Gellman on certain issues, … Continue reading