What am I doing for Lent? Zilch! I don’t like giving things up for forty days. Right now, I’m in the process of getting away from a religion that tells me what to eat and not eat and on what days, when to rest, etc. I may return to that structure at a later point in my life, but, right now, I choose not to be inconvenienced by it. Although I fasted on the Day of Atonement in the past and benefited from that spiritual activity, for example, I chose not to do so this year. And, in my opinion, God does not love me less just because I choose to enjoy the pleasures of life rather than giving them up for a set period of time. My personal spirituality consists of believing in God’s love for me, trying to get through each day with a fairly positive attitude, and showing love to those around me. There are days when I am fairly successful at this, and there are days (in fact, most days) when I can do better. While I don’t deny the benefits of Lent to people, I don’t feel that I have to observe it to be a spiritual person.
Posts I Like
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Nixon Reconsidered 3
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Ben Sira's View of the Afterlife
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- Ramblings on Jeremiah 30:21: The Prince Who Dares (Or Engages His Heart) to Approach God
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- Gentleness and Ann Coulter's Mugged
- Book Write-Up: David Wilkerson
- Gentleness and Ann Coulter’s Mugged
- Reason: SCOTUS Contender Amy Coney Barrett’s Mixed Record in Criminal Cases
- Current Affairs: Why Amy Coney Barrett Should Not Be On The Supreme Court
- Anxious for Nothing, Buchanan’s The Greatest Comeback, with a Goebbels Tangent
- Angels in Romans 8:28 and Matthew Barrett’s Canon, Covenant and Christology
- Church Write-Up: Romans 8:14-30 and Forgiveness
- Book Write-Up: Suicide of a Superpower, State of Emergency, Day of Reckoning (Patrick J. Buchanan)
- The Insulted Soldiers Hoax
- Book Write-Ups: Libido Dominandi, The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit (E. Michael Jones)
- Romans 7-8 and Review of Discerning Ethics