Today is Charles Dickens’ birthday! The only Dickens book that I have ever read is A Christmas Carol (see my write-ups on that here and here). I watched movies for David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities, and Oliver Twist. They were pretty entertaining movies. I think of the manipulative spinster in Great Expectations; the abusive step-father and the slimy Uriah Heap in David Copperfield; the drunk who laid down his life for somebody else in Tale of Two Cities; and the story in Oliver Twist about an orphan who suffers poverty until he learns that he is part of a rich family. Good heroes. Villains who catch one’s attention. Good stories. I should probably read the books sometime, but I have a hard time with Dickens’ thick style. I have been interested when people have told me that Dickens was a Christian, however. And he apparently had strong beliefs, for he is a critic of Sabbatarianism in A Christmas Carol (see my links above).
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Music in The Stand
- The Death Penalty
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- N.T. Wright on the Virgin Birth
- Chaos in Chapter 26 of The Stand
- When to Confront, When to be Silent
- Book Write-Up: Things That Differ, by Cornelius R. Stam
- Church Write-Up: Midnight, Transformed, New Colossians Class
- Book Write-Up: Free to Choose, by Milton and Rose Friedman
- Book Write-Up: The Devil’s Chessboard, by David Talbot
- The Federalist: Georgia Confirms The Pre-Trump GOP Is Dead And Gone
- The Federalist: How The Free Market Can Protect And Preserve The Environment
- Christmas Services; Abuse of Power; The Real Extremists, the Far Left, by Billy James Hargis
- Jesus and the Jordan, Jesus the Nazarene, God’s Choice, Spiritual Practices of Jesus, Where the Right Went Wrong (Patrick J. Buchanan)
- Genesis 22; The Learning Cycle; A Republic, Not an Empire, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Jesus’s Theological Genealogies, Original Sin and the Fall, Enhancing Christian Life
- Why Unthankful?; the Vine Creates a Community; Romans 15-16; How to Read Daniel