Today is Charles Dickens’ birthday! The only Dickens book that I have ever read is A Christmas Carol (see my write-ups on that here and here). I watched movies for David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities, and Oliver Twist. They were pretty entertaining movies. I think of the manipulative spinster in Great Expectations; the abusive step-father and the slimy Uriah Heap in David Copperfield; the drunk who laid down his life for somebody else in Tale of Two Cities; and the story in Oliver Twist about an orphan who suffers poverty until he learns that he is part of a rich family. Good heroes. Villains who catch one’s attention. Good stories. I should probably read the books sometime, but I have a hard time with Dickens’ thick style. I have been interested when people have told me that Dickens was a Christian, however. And he apparently had strong beliefs, for he is a critic of Sabbatarianism in A Christmas Carol (see my links above).
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Book Write-Up: Reading Buechner, by Jeffrey Munroe
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Book Write-Ups: Where's the Birth Certificate?, Killing the Deep State, America for Sale (Jerome R. Corsi)
- Very Strange Bedfellows 7
- Finishing Van Seters' Life of Moses
- Veiled Rabbinic Attacks on Christian Doctrines
- The Rush-Sandra Fluke Debate
- Soulen-clearing the way for a better story
- Ramblings on Neuhaus' Political Conversion
- Book Write-Up: Patents and Invention (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Romans 5:1-5
- Manufacturing Division: Is Black Lives Matter truly Marxist or a front for the ruling elite? — Adara Press
- Book Write-Up: How the Republican Party Became Pro-Life (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Romans 4
- How I Changed My Mind about Trump
- Book Write-Up: The Gravediggers, by Phyllis Schlafly
- Church Write-Up: Romans 2-3
- Book Write-Up: Pornography’s Victims (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Romans 1-2 and Hope