A Seattle newspaper known as The Stranger has an article by Brendan Kiley about Mark Driscoll’s Mars Hill Church in Seattle. It’s entitled Church or Cult? The Control-Freaky Ways of Mars Hill Church. It includes Andrew’s story (see here), other stories, and part of a response by a Mars Hill pastor. I realize that there are two sides to every story, but I tend to shy away from any church that stresses “authority” or “submission”. Granted, church leaders have a right (within reason) to run their churches as they see fit, and, if I were to be a member or an attendee, I would have to accept their rules. But I would not join a church where the leaders are so insecure that they have to harp on “authority” and “submission” to get people to respect them.
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Music in The Stand
- The Death Penalty
- Book Write-Up: Things That Differ, by Cornelius R. Stam
- When to Confront, When to be Silent
- Genesis 3:3: Neither Shall Ye Touch the Fruit
- Chaos in Chapter 26 of The Stand
- Psalm 110
- Church Write-Up: Midnight, Transformed, New Colossians Class
- Book Write-Up: Free to Choose, by Milton and Rose Friedman
- Book Write-Up: The Devil’s Chessboard, by David Talbot
- The Federalist: Georgia Confirms The Pre-Trump GOP Is Dead And Gone
- The Federalist: How The Free Market Can Protect And Preserve The Environment
- Christmas Services; Abuse of Power; The Real Extremists, the Far Left, by Billy James Hargis
- Jesus and the Jordan, Jesus the Nazarene, God’s Choice, Spiritual Practices of Jesus, Where the Right Went Wrong (Patrick J. Buchanan)
- Genesis 22; The Learning Cycle; A Republic, Not an Empire, by Patrick J. Buchanan
- Jesus’s Theological Genealogies, Original Sin and the Fall, Enhancing Christian Life
- Why Unthankful?; the Vine Creates a Community; Romans 15-16; How to Read Daniel