A Seattle newspaper known as The Stranger has an article by Brendan Kiley about Mark Driscoll’s Mars Hill Church in Seattle. It’s entitled Church or Cult? The Control-Freaky Ways of Mars Hill Church. It includes Andrew’s story (see here), other stories, and part of a response by a Mars Hill pastor. I realize that there are two sides to every story, but I tend to shy away from any church that stresses “authority” or “submission”. Granted, church leaders have a right (within reason) to run their churches as they see fit, and, if I were to be a member or an attendee, I would have to accept their rules. But I would not join a church where the leaders are so insecure that they have to harp on “authority” and “submission” to get people to respect them.
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Book Write-Up: Reading Buechner, by Jeffrey Munroe
- Book Write-Ups: Where's the Birth Certificate?, Killing the Deep State, America for Sale (Jerome R. Corsi)
- Book Write-Up: Martin Dies' Story, by Martin Dies
- Ramblings on Neuhaus' Political Conversion
- Very Strange Bedfellows 7
- Does the Bible Have a Place in the Academic Discussion of Theology?
- Jesse Helms (October 18, 1921-July 4, 2008)
- Book Write-Up: Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, Kissinger on the Couch
- Finishing Van Seters' Life of Moses
- Manufacturing Division: Is Black Lives Matter truly Marxist or a front for the ruling elite? — Adara Press
- Book Write-Up: How the Republican Party Became Pro-Life (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Romans 4
- How I Changed My Mind about Trump
- Book Write-Up: The Gravediggers, by Phyllis Schlafly
- Church Write-Up: Romans 2-3
- Book Write-Up: Pornography’s Victims (Phyllis Schlafly)
- Church Write-Up: Romans 1-2 and Hope
- Church Write-Up: Not Ashamed, Shalom Is Positive (and Thus Negative), the Sower’s Seed
- Media Distortions on “Vehicle Attacks” at Protests