Notice that “Under God” is not in this Pledge of Allegiance, since this film was made in the 1930’s. “Under God” was put into the Pledge in the 1950’s. I watched this when I was a little kid. Porky’s struggles saying the Pledge reminded me of my Mom making me say it over and over until I learned it—with “Richard Stands” and the whole bit! And Uncle Sam’s lecture to Porky reminds me of my elementary school teachers who gave us a lecture about the greatness of America and freedom whenever we were saying the Pledge in a perfunctory fashion, or diverting our gaze from the sacred American flag while we recited it. “Some countries don’t even allow rock and roll!”, my second-grade teacher said. That’s ironic because some would argue that rock music was a Communist plot to corrupt our youth—the very opposite of patriotism! BTW, did you know that kids used to say the Pledge while holding out their right arm? We stopped doing that salute once it became associated with the Nazis! In any case, this is a good little movie, and, although America’s not perfect, I’m glad that I live here. And, like John Goodman on King Ralph, I’ll always admire the American colonists for kicking the rear-end of the mighty British!
Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Scrooge v. Ghost of Christmas Present on the Sabbath
- Your Father Was an Amorite
- Genesis 4:13: Did Cain Repent?
- Peck on the My Lai Massacre
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- John 21: Jesus Encourages (Not Rebukes) Peter
- Psalm 119: Qoph
- Reagan and African-Americans
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez