Top Posts & Pages
- Scrooge v. Ghost of Christmas Present on the Sabbath
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Book Write-Up: Jesus and the Zealots, by S.G.F. Brandon
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Were the Maccabees Aaronides?
- Psalm 45
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- About Me
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- The Death Penalty
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
- FAIR: The Media Myth of ‘Once Prosperous’ and Democratic Venezuela Before Chávez
- Elder Platform for California
- Books Write-Up: Obadiah, Jonah and Micah; Letters for the Church; the Paradox of Sonship
- Common Dreams: Biden Applauded for Executive Order Targeting ‘Insidious’ Anti-Worker Practices
- Book Write-Up: The Path of Faith, by Brandon D. Crowe
- Glenn Greenwald: Questions About the FBI’s Role in 1/6 Are Mocked Because the FBI Shapes Liberal Corporate Media
- Books Write-Up: Worshiping with the Reformers; Understanding Gender Dysphoria
Daily Archives: August 12, 2009
Check out the Patristics Carnival at Compliant Subversity (cool name for a blog!).
After my post on 500 Days of Summer, I thought more about the search for “the one,” or a “soul mate.” A lot of times, I feel American society is a moral cesspool, in which people have casual sex without … Continue reading
James L. Kugel and Rowan A. Greer, Early Biblical Interpretation, ed. Wayne A. Meeks (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1986) 122. The legislation of the fourth and fifth centuries protected the Jews but prohibited them from any real participation in the life of … Continue reading
I saw 500 Days of Summer today, at the suggestion of my therapist. It’s about a guy named Tom who meets a girl named Summer. Tom buys into all this “searching for your soul mate” jazz, while Summer is more … Continue reading
In II Samuel 7, God makes to David what appears to be an unconditional promise: God would grant David an everlasting dynasty, in that there would always be a Davidid sitting on the throne of Israel. If the Davidic monarch … Continue reading
Robert Lamberton, Homer the Theologian: Neoplatonist Allegorical Reading and the Growth of the Epic Tradition (Berkley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1986) 216-217. Proclus was a fifth century Neo-Platonist who treated Homer as an allegory. One problem many … Continue reading