Posts I Like
Top Posts & Pages
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Chapters 19, 21-23 of The Stand
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- "The Struggle for an Education"
- Chapters 38-39 of The Stand
- The Death Penalty
- Chaos in Chapter 26 of The Stand
- Book Write-Up: When Calls the Heart, by Janette Oke
- Bart Ehrman on Luke 3:22 and Anti-Adoptionism
- Book Write-Up: A Week in the Life of a Greco-Roman Woman
- Church Write-Up: Suffering and New Life
- Did Essenes identify with the Herods?
- The “Cushite” wife of Moses
- The wife and other problems about Cain
- An Exodus of children?
- The Timna mines and the Exodus
- Some issues concerning the exodus as an event in time
- Wilderness wandering and settlement of the land at the same time?
- Cain, Abel and anti-farmer prejudice
Daily Archives: December 5, 2008
It’s almost the Sabbath, so I don’t have time to write long posts about my readings. Plus, I’m tired. So I’m going to do three posts in one: 1. Source: Devorah Dimant, “Qumran Sectarian Literature,” Jewish Writings of the Second … Continue reading
Source: H. Graetz, History of the Jews, volume II (Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America, 1893) 623. “The reigning distress offered no scope for the profundities of the Halacha, but furthered the study of the cheerful Agada, which, diving deep … Continue reading
Source: Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Volume II: Ante-Nicene Christianity (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 1910) 120. “The ADAPTATION of Christianity to the deepest needs of human nature, which it alone can meet. Here belongs Tertullian’s…profound thought, that … Continue reading
Source: Devorah Dimant, “Qumran Sectarian Literature,” Jewish Writings of the Second Temple Period, ed. Michael E. Stone (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1984) 499. “In this respect the sect resembles the Pharisaic Haburoth…but unlike the latter it connected the maintenance of purity with … Continue reading