Top Posts & Pages
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Is Dale Carnegie Biblical?; Compromise for God; Pagan Roots; Callimachus; Priests and Allegory; Israelite Welfare System; Lois Wilson
- More on Christ in the Rig Veda (With a Question Mark)
- The "We-Passages"
- Joan of Arcadia, Season 3
- Student and Scholar Spotlight: Dr. Douglas Boin
- "Take Away Our (Bent or Desire?) to Sinning"
- Did David Know That Uriah Knew (Assuming Uriah Knew)?
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Daily Archives: October 30, 2008
I wrote a post yesterday about Barack Obama’s infomercial, but it got lost. I hate it when that happens! Basically, I said that Obama tried to present himself as a new Ronald Reagan. He didn’t use those exact words, mind … Continue reading
Posted in Candidates, Current Events, Politics, Sarah Palin, Television Comments Off on Barack’s Infomercial
Harmonizing on Sanctuary
Source: Michael Fishbane’s Biblical Interpretation in Ancient Israel (New York: Oxford, 1988) 251-252. Exodus 20:24 states: “You need make for me only an altar of earth and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your offerings of well-being, your sheep … Continue reading
Neusner on the Substance of the Mishnah
Source: Jacob Neusner’s Judaism: The Evidence of the Mishnah, page 282. “The Mishnah’s evidence presents a Judaism which at its foundations and through all of its parts deals with a single fundamental question: What can a man do? The evidence … Continue reading
Source: A.A. Long, “Roman Philosophy,” The Cambridge Companion to Greek and Roman Philosophy, ed. David Sedley (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003) 210. “Tertullian in his work On the Soul draws heavily on Stoicism, aligning himself against Plato with the Stoics’ … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Comps, Ecclesiastes, Greco-Roman, Life, Religion, School 3 Comments
An Addition in Exodus 22:25-27: Part 2
Source: Michael Fishbane’s Biblical Interpretation in Ancient Israel (New York: Oxford, 1988) 175. Here’s Exodus 22:20-27. I’ve colored in blue the most important verses for this discussion, and in red what Fishbane deems to be a later addition: “20 Whoever … Continue reading
My source today is Jacob Neusner’s Judaism: The Evidence of the Mishnah. I’m not in the mood to look for the date. Here are a few sentences that intrigued me: “Uncleanness, which above all endangers the cult and must be … Continue reading