Top Posts & Pages
- Why Did Jesus Tell Mary, "Mine Hour Is Not Yet Come" (John 2:4)?
- Matthew 4:18-22: Why Did They Follow Him?
- Exodus 22:2-3 and Self-Defense
- Book Write-Up: Psychology and Spiritual Formation in Dialogue
- Book Write-Up: The Abomination of Desolation in Biblical Eschatology
- Book Write-Up: A Week in the Life of a Roman Centurion
- The Seating Arrangement at the Last Supper
- About Me
- Gratitude and Robinson Crusoe
- Bart Ehrman on Luke 3:22 and Anti-Adoptionism
- The New American on Pro-Life Laws and Keri Lake
- Tucker’s 5/17/2022 Monologue
- The Z Man: The Party’s Over
- David Cole on the Absurdity of WaPo “Fact-Checking” and the Woke “Words Kill” Meme
- FAIR: What You Should Really Know About Ukraine
- NYMAG: Joe Biden’s Big Squeeze
- Book Write-Up: The Alchemy Thief, by R.A. Denny
- Book Write-Ups: The Servant of the Lord and His Servant People; Reformation Commentary on John 13-21; Every Leaf, Line, and Letter
- The New American: Celebrate! Columbus “Divided History” and Deserves to be Defended, Not Upended
- Morning Wire: China’s Socially Conservative Reasons for Banning Video Games
Monthly Archives: October 2007
Protestant, Catholic, Jew, Ann Coulter
Okay, I finally have time to listen to Ann Coulter’s “perfected Jews” comments. To be honest, I think she contradicts herself. One one hand, she says that Jews need to observe laws to get to heaven, whereas Christians have the … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Current Events, Jewish-Christian Relations, Politics, Religion Comments Off on Protestant, Catholic, Jew, Ann Coulter
"Where Were You During Apartheid?"
I’ve encountered this question a couple of times. It’s never been directed at me, mind you, but I’ve often heard it used to discredit conservatives. During the 2000 Presidential election, a fellow student expressed outrage that Dick Cheney as Senator … Continue reading
In Praise of Simplicity
A few days ago, John Hobbins had a post entitled “The Scandal of the Christian Mind,” in which he discussed a 2004 essay by evangelical scholar Mark Noll. Noll says the following about American evangelicalism: “We remain inordinately susceptible to … Continue reading
"You’re Politically Crazy!"
Jim West has a post that says Ann Coulter should be in an insane asylum. I’m sure he’s just kidding (right Jim?), but the post reminded me of an issue I’ve encountered in right-wing and left-wing political literature: the fear … Continue reading
Posted in Current Events, History, Politics Comments Off on "You’re Politically Crazy!"
When Were They Bad?
I’m struggling to understand Ezekiel 34. vv 3-6 say the following about the bad shepherds: “You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fatlings; but you do not feed the sheep. You have not strengthened … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Ezekiel, Religion 9 Comments
China the Bully
You know, there are some days when I just hate China. Not real China (Taiwan), but Communist China. And not the people of Communist China, but its repressive government. The Associated Press has an article this morning entitled “Bush’s plan … Continue reading
Posted in Current Events, Politics, Television, West Wing 6 Comments
"But That’s Not Fair!"
In “What Were They Feeling?” and “The Other Side’s Voice”, I discussed the views of most Judeans in the time of Ezekiel. By and large, the Judeans did not accept Ezekiel’s message, often for contradictory reasons, and they expressed their … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Ezekiel, Religion Comments Off on "But That’s Not Fair!"
God the Shepherd
In Ezekiel 34, God condemns the shepherds of Israel, accusing them of caring more for themselves than the Israelite people. To correct this problem, God promises to come himself and assume the role of Israel’s shepherd. God will replace Israel’s … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Ezekiel, Religion Comments Off on God the Shepherd
Someone should make a movie about Ezekiel 33:21-22. In that passage, a refugee from Jerusalem comes to Ezekiel and tells him that the city has fallen. When Ezekiel hears the refugee’s message, he is suddenly able to speak. Before that, … Continue reading
Posted in Bible, Daily Quiet Time, Ezekiel, Religion Comments Off on The Refugee
Was It Meant to Last Forever?
I recently read and heard a story on NPR: NPR : Krugman: Income Inequality Pricks ‘Conscience’. It was an interview with New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, who has a new book out called The Conscience of a Liberal (I … Continue reading
Posted in Current Events, History, Politics Comments Off on Was It Meant to Last Forever?